Home » Lutheran Women Missionary League (LWML)
Lutheran Women in Ministry
The Lutheran Women’s Missionary League (LWML) is the official women’s auxiliary of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. For over 77 years, the LWML has focused on affirming each woman’s relationship with Christ, encouraging and equipping women to live out their Christian lives in active mission ministries and to support global missions.
Learn more about the LWML in the LCMS Northern Illinois District
Follow the LWML Facebook Page at facebook.com/LWMLNID
News from the NID LWML
LWML NID SELECTS NEW MISSION GRANTS FOR NEW BIENNIUM
The votes are in! On August 29/30, delegates of the LWML NID cast their ballots ahead of their virtual Convention on Saturday, September 12. They elected officers, approved bylaws changes, adopted a Mission goal for the new biennium, and selected mission projects to be supported by their mite offerings. This article will highlight the 2020-2022 mission grants. More details on the Convention will be included in our next article.
With $93,750 allocated for grants, six proposals were chosen to be fully funded by our LWML NID and a 7th grant will receive a portion of what they requested:
- WORSHIP ANEW (formerly Worship for Shut-Ins) seeks to reach the rapidly aging and other unchurched people in the NID with the This project will assist in funding their broadcast fees. ($17,600)
- JACMEL LUTHERAN HOME and CENTER OF REFUGE ORPHANAGE in Haiti – Ministry in Mission, a LCMS Recognized Service Organization, will use this grant to staff and operate the Jacmel Lutheran Home for the elderly and provide food for the ($15,000)
- WILLIAM H. GRIFFIN COMMUNITY CENTER FOOD PANTRY has been a ministry of Zion Lutheran Church on Chicago’s south side since 2008. This mission serves about 300 people through its food bank, clothing bank, and several outreach events throughout the year. ($18,000)
- PHIL’S FRIENDS provides care packages for cancer patients in the Chicago area and around the S. This grant would allow Phil’s Friends to purchase the spiritual items, including Bibles, which are included in those packages. ($10,000)
- DORCAS PROJECT – LEADERSHIP TRAINING FOR WOMEN IN GHANA – This project will help educate women in Ghana so that they can share the Gospel with people in their communities and mentor other young women of the church in how to handle their ($17,000)
- LUTHERAN BOOKS FOR BUDDHIST SOUTHEAST ASIA – The Lutheran Heritage Foundation has requested this funding to translate and publish several thousand books (like Luther’s Small Catechism and Bible Stories in Pictures) in the languages of the people of Southeast The books will be given free to families and churches that need them. ($15,000)
- SALAM CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP – Based at Peace Lutheran Church in Lombard, Salam’s ongoing mission is focused on spreading the Gospel among Middle Eastern and North African Muslims and bringing them together into the “tribe” of Jesus (Partial funding of $1,150)
We pray that God will continue to bless these ministries and our LWML sisters and other congregation members in the NID who will support them with their mite offerings.