As the District office, we carry out our mission by upholding three pillars. These pillars direct our work together in the vision laid out for us.
WORD: Helping congregations be more centered on a rich life of Word and Sacrament, with congregational support in transitions as well as time of joys and sorrows.
WELLNESS: Promoting and encouraging health and vitality in congregations, schools, ministries, professional workers and lay-leaders.
WITNESS: Encouraging personal witnessing, congregational engagement with their community, support of our NID partnerships and missions and sharing in a world mission field together.
1 Corinthians 3:6-9
I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God’s fellow workers. You are God’s field, God’s building.
The LCMS Northern Illinois District encourages you to partner with us in Advancing His Kingdom, faithfully serving the Gospel of Jesus Christ and sharing it in our community and the world. You make a difference!
Mission Target Grant
Some of the highlights of the Mission Target Grant include:
- It is available to all churches, schools, and RSOs of the NID
- It has no cap on the amount that may be requested
- Its funding may be utilized over a three-year period
- It will have two award periods each year, Spring and Fall, until the fund is fully expended
- It may be used to partially fund bringing a new church worker to a ministry
Grant proposals should be submitted to Rev. Kris Whitby, Assistant to the President – Mission and Ministry, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals for each award period will be reviewed by the Mission Target Grant Committee the last Monday of February and August respectively.
- Innovative projects that are designed to connect and engage with people in the surrounding community so that relationships can be developed and the potential for ministry occurs.
- Specialized training for groups or individuals that will equip them to better serve in the NID and the Synod, as well as to carry out the first bullet point.
- Ministry initiatives which will lead, God willing, to new ways of Word+Wellness+Witness, as ways to help people learn about Jesus.
The Partnership Grants are normally in the range of $1,000 to $5,000 though that is flexible. Their purpose is to assist your ministry organization in accomplishing ministry initiatives consistent with the mission and vision of the district: Filled with living hope in Christ, Confessing, Praising, and Advancing His Kingdom. District staff will partner with you throughout the process of planning and implementing your new initiative.
Discuss mission in your congregation & school:
Please contact a district mission facilitator for the following:
- Rev. Kris Whitby – Assistant to the President, Mission and Ministry
- Mrs. Lois Stewart, Missions – Advancing His Kingdom in action through church and school
District services to churches include: networking, culture change, mission strategy, building partnerships, outreach development, leader training, mission grants, and professional development.
Find these ministries:
Lutheran Women Missionary League (LWML) – The Lutheran Women’s Missionary League (LWML) is the official women’s auxiliary of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. See updates on LWML ministry.